Monday, September 24, 2012

5 Things I Learned From Punky Brewster





I wished and wished for Punky Brewster to be my bff when I was a little girl. Sadly it never came true, but I still got to pretend by following her silly antics every week. Here is a list of 5 things the Punkster taught me:

1) Mix and match your clothing. 


Let's face it, Punky was a style icon. Who else could pull off two different colored Converse sneakers, a bandana around the leg and a rolled  pant leg?  Look at those laces! And, the pig tails! Oh my. She wasn't afraid to look like a walking smorgasbord board of skittles. Punky wasn't afraid to experiment with her wardrobe. I'm also completely convinced that she was the original hipster.

2) Interior Design
She painted her walls herself and her bed was made out of an old wagon that tilted back and forth. She also designed a tree house! Girl is a creativity machine. And even though everything she touches looks like a box of Crayolas exploded she managed to make a room that has a very cheery atmosphere all by herself. Quite a feat for a 10-year-old girl.

3) Be fearless.
Not only with clothing, but also during the episode aptly titled "Perils of Punky." That episode scared the crap out of me. I couldn't watch it. You laugh, and say "Oh, Nicole, you're so ridiculous for being scared of a kid's show."

Ahem, I give you exhibit a) :
 and exhibit b)
Still don't believe me? Well, watch on youtube. I can guarantee you will have nightmares for a week.

Punky and her friends get lost on a camping trip and end up in a cave. Soon, Punky's gang disappears and she finds herself all alone to face some kind of demon, or witch or other evil spirit. Instead of running away she faces it head on to save her friends. That's pretty kick ass because I would have just peed myself and crawled into the fetal position until the giant spider ate me.


4) How to handle tough situations
The girl went through a lot. Not only was she abandoned by her parents, but her best friend Cherie got trapped in a refrigerator while playing hide and seek and almost died, Henry, her mentor almost overdoses on sleeping pills, a kid that's over Henry's house drinks a whole bottle of poisonous cleaner from underneath the sink, her dog Brandon almost dies, and she gets lost in the woods (see above). So much happens.


5) Be a loyal friend

This one is pretty self-explanatory, no? Plus there is a whole episode about "blood sisters" and they squish their fingers together with ketchup, because you know AIDS was also a lesson taught on this show. Punky would do anything for her besties and that's what makes her so wonderful. Who wouldn't want to be friends with the Punkster?

No comments:

Post a Comment